Friday, August 28, 2009

Sprouted Wheat, Wheat Bread

I finally got around to having a go at making sprouted wheat bread. Sprouting was pleasant fun, and only took a few days. I will post about the sprouting process in greater detail in the future. It's a fun activity and children especially would have a fun time watching the little seeds begin to grow tails.

The bread itself turned out quite well considering I had to improvise from the recipe I was following. When I sprouted my wheat berries I did not have the recipe in mind so after processing the sprouts, I only had about 1/2 cup of sprout pulp. The recipe called for 3 cups of sprouts. I decided to just continue with substituting the remainder with whole wheat flower. My deviation from the recipe was promising and I was left with a tasty and wholesome bread.


Here is my altered recipe:


1/2
2 1/2
cup wheat, sprouted and then processed into a pulp.
cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons honey (or other sweetener for vegan)
1 3/4cup warm water (100-110 degrees, or what yeast calls for)
1/2 cup mixed sesame, pumpkin, sunflower, and flax seeds (optional)
Vegetable oil (for the bowl)


1 comment:

  1. this recipe sounds delicious. i recently had my husband make something quite similar and it tastes quite soft, but also healthy!

    ReplyDelete